Friday, November 18, 2011

Get out of town! What is it about a new place that brings me out of my funk?

I have been experiencing a lack in confidence lately. I got so fed up with the dating pool that I decided to take a break. After a couple of months I wanted to get back in the game. So why am I having such a hard time?

Everything in me tells me that I’m ready to put myself out there again. I’m ready to take a risk. But my confidence is still lacking. I’m still disappointed with the dating opportunities I have had recently.

Over my “break” I have gone on a few trips outside of Utah. It was so refreshing to be in a new place with new people, my confidence seemed to return.

Boise, ID: I love the night life! Although it reminds me a lot of Salt Lake City (without the beautiful Wasatch Mountains), I felt that, especially downtown, there was so much to see and do. And THE MEN! I saw a lot of attractive men! While I was there, I felt more aware of myself and the opposite sex.

Anaheim/Brea, CA: While I would never want to deal with the traffic, or the fact that it takes hours to get out of town, I see similarities in me and the people I’ve met. My parents are originally from Southern California, so when I go back, I feel like they are my people.

Palm Springs, CA: Well, I don’t necessarily feel like I fit in really well there or that I'd have any more dating success, IT IS JUST BEAUTIFUL! I haven’t been so relaxed in years!

Sadly, as soon as I get back to Utah, the confidence I built up disappeares yet again.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Utah. I grew up here. My family is here. But there seems to be a dark cloud looming over me when it comes to dating. Is it my own perception? Probably. If you’re not optimistic, good things won’t head your way.

I have a plan to combat my dating blues. As much as I would love to spend as much time as possible outside of Utah, it is not ideal. I HAVE to step outside of my comfort zone. I need to look for things to do that are different than what I’ve been doing. I need to find a way to lift the cloud and find the sunlight! I need to find a way to feel like I do when I’m out of town.

Have any suggestions? Gulp!

No comments:

Post a Comment